Tuesday, October 30, 2007

More About Clothes

Anyone want to see what I've been doing with my time? I made my daughter a dress. I was having a really hard time finding anything cute for a brand new baby (and she's not brand new anymore, so there is a lot more now that could work for her), and so I decided to make one myself. One of my friends, who came to my baby shower, got me a beautiful jumper, and I made a dress based on the pattern of the one she gave me. (One advantage of making a dress myself is that it doesn't cost me anything ... at least not right now. I have lots of little bits of leftover fabric from previous sewing projects, and they're just the perfect sizes to make baby clothes with. It made it so I felt less risky trying to experiment!) It's not perfect, since the button holes look ridiculous, and the angle of the seam on the shoulder is kind of skewonky, but otherwise I think it turned out great. It was my first sewing project in about three years. (I don't think making curtains and mending torn clothing really counts.)

Anyway, Ben and I found the shirt at a store, and it looked cute, but was way too big in the sleeves (as you can note in the first picture), so I adjusted them, as you can see in the second picture. I still think they're a little long, but I also decided the dress is too big for Hannah right now anyway, so she'll probably grow into it. (Kind of defeats the point of making it, but at least I had fun!)

1 comment:

The Lowry's said...

Good job. I am not into sewing so anyone that takes the time to do it is a bonus. My mom as you know is an amazing sewer. I think she wishes I would sew more, but I only do mending, heming etc. Not really what I would call sewing, although we are making pj pants for everyone this Christmas. (Jeff's mom and I) It should be easy though. It will be my sewing for the year.